Lucky number 13.
At least, that’s what this year brings, right? 1/1/13. I know, I know…technically it’s TWO-ZERO-13, but still…seeing that “13″ hanging off the end there is enough to make even the least superstitious a little nervous.
So, will this be a year of broken mirrors, opening umbrellas in the house, black cats, and walking under ladders? Or, will it be a time of truly wonderful omens and special opportunity?
I laid in bed for a few extra minutes today and stared at the ceiling. I thought about 2012 and all of its past glory and really had to smile. It was quite a year for me, and I’m sure for you, too…whether or not you know it. Not that much “exciting” really happened to me, but it certainly was a time of near misses, false starts, new beginnings that turned into false starts, and…well…let’s just say I still have all 10 fingers and all 10 toes and am counting my blessings for it.
I’m not really a resolution man by nature, so I won’t engage in too much of that here. But if you know me, you know I’m counting the ol’ blessings every second I can, just in case. So, since we’ve narrowly avoided a fiscal cliff and a Mayan Apocalypse, let’s take some time to count some before the cliff drops off…13′s a nice number, don’t you think? Some of these may be a bit obtuse, but again, if you know me, well…then that’s no surprise!
1. Near miss in hospital avoided for one whom I love. Heard the phrase “just in time” one time too many for my liking, but so far have not heard it again. All’s well going into 2013. There was good spirits, laughter, and positivity the WHOLE time it was going on, and there continue to be, and yes…that made all the difference.
2. Conversations about new ventures are ongoing with some really cool people. Why count this? Because instead of being stuck in a rut bemoaning the state of things, it’s actually nice to be able to think about fresh adventures and see them unfold. I’m open to that. I have that opportunity. It takes work, but I’m happy for it.
3. Chicken parm. That’s right. I know it’s not a hospital near-miss or the promise of a new business venture, but it’s delicious, right? Right. Enough said.
4. The new playlist in my car. Yup. I listen to certain things in the morning to get me spiritually motivated, but in the afternoon? Well, in goes a playlist of songs that I love to rewind:
Speed of Sound by Coldplay
Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve
Afternoons & Coffeespoons by Crash Test Dummies
April Come She Will by Simon and Garfunkel
Bitter Tears by INXS
The Broad Majestic Shannon by The Pogues
This Cowboy Song by Sting
Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen
Strawberry Swing by Coldplay
Hannah Jane by Hootie and the Blowfish
Lonely Girls by Ian & Sylvia
Only Living Boy in New York by Simon and Garfunkel
Talk by Coldplay
Wisemen by James Blunt
Time to Move On by Tom Petty
Tiny Daggers by INXS
Trip Through Your Wires by U2
What’s the Frequency, Kenneth? by REM
Why Should I Cry for You? by Sting
Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall by Coldplay
Yes…thank goodness for that playlist. Doesn’t get too too much better than that, my friends. Go ahead. Take your shots at it. I’m immune.
5. My agent. Have to thank her again. Why? Just ’cause. Y’know. Just ’cause.
6. Fresh faces and friends in 2012. New spaces to fill with those new people in 2013.
7. When I saw darkness in 2012, I was able to reframe it to see the message instead of trying to yell at it to become light. Thank you 2012 for that. Thank you thank you a million times thank you.
8. That I continue to be able to forge ahead. Thank you, 2012 for allowing that, too.
9. I’m blessed for the ability to count blessings. Yes. Gotta list that one. Thank you, Universe, for even allowing a count to happen.
10. Thank you for dreams and reality. Why? Because when the line blurs, we know we’re on to something. If you haven’t reached this state in life at least once, try it. See that your world is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. It’s interesting!
11. Thank you for teachers, students, and the ability to connect with both. You need to talk to people who think like you once in a while. They’re your feel goods. But, yes, you need to learn from the ones who yell at you for what you think. Sorry. That’s life. But look for the people who believe what they believe out of conviction, and not because they’re told to believe or or believe it because of some lame news station. Be a true teacher and a true student. Nice.
12. Thank you for the spice of life. It ain’t always sugar. It ain’t always lemons. Sometimes…well…sometimes it’s just right.
13. And lastly? Thank you for allowing me to be Nobody in particular. I love my Nobody brothers and sisters. And, the more I watch reality TV, commercials, and sports (the NBA), the more glad I become for this one. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you a million times thank you to whatever is running this Universe that the world is not really about (at least I HOPE it’s not about…) the most money, taking talents elsewhere, or being “in”famous. Thank you for quiet rooms, conversation over coffee at the local wherever, a special playlist, an honest day’s work, and knowing that when we point to heaven after something special, we know that everyone else is just as loved….Universe, we know you don’t only care about three pointers, touchdowns, winning a voice contest, and sunken putts. These are special things, yes. These are karmic things, I know. But at the end o’ the day, you present glory to see how we handle it. I have to believe you just want us to simply be grateful for what we have (except for the occasional blog post…sorry!), and we know you love that pitcher whether he gives up the homer or not. I’m grateful for knowing that, even though I’m not a pitcher.
So, I know I said I wouldn’t make a resolution. But I will. As January 1, 2013 comes and goes I will vow only to do my best to keep on moving ahead. To be open to new opportunity. To let the past be the past. To let the future be the future. And…well…to keep on being the best Nobody I can be.
From this Nobody to you, whomever you are, have a safe, happy, and blessed 2013.